Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

The colors are working well - not sure how to explain. all…

Customer Question
The colors are working...

The colors are working well - not sure how to explain. all have a brownish element and streaking

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

Lexmark officeedge pro 4000

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Lexmark printer?

For some time. I don't print much.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Windows 10 - probably 2 years ago, maybe less

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Printers
12/20/2017
Technician: Sheri, Expert replied 9 months ago
Sheri
Sheri, Expert

HiCustomer

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I am happy to assist you with this issue. I understand there is brownish element and streaking. Please try the following and reply and let me know if it helped:

Cleaning the printhead nozzles
If you have not been using the printer for a long period, then you may need to clean the printhead nozzles to improve
the quality of your prints. Keep your printer plugged to a properly grounded, working electrical outlet to allow it to
perform automatic maintenance cycles.
Notes:
• Cleaning the printhead nozzles uses ink, so clean them only when necessary.
• Deep cleaning uses more ink, so try the Clean Printhead option first to save ink.
• If the ink levels are too low, then you must replace the ink cartridges before you can clean the printhead
nozzles.
1 From the printer control panel, navigate to:
> Setup > OK > Maintenance > OK
2 Press the up or down arrow button to scroll to Clean Printhead or Deep Clean Printhead, and then
press OK .
3 Press the up or down arrow button to scroll to a cleaning option, and then press OK .
Wait until the printer is ready.

I will wait for your reply and then go to the next step if needed.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

I have performed the clean and deep clean process prior to reaching out. I looked for an updated driver from Lexmark. At the site, I select Window 10, 64 bit as my OS. There is a driver from 2013 listed but when I click the link, the driver is for Mac OS. I then performed a driver update from Windows, and this process indicated the driver was updated. A driver named Lexmark Universal v2 was installed - from 10/1/2015, version 2.10.0.5. My color print quality is different but poor. The color red does not print in my test. All ink cartridges are >50%.

Thanks for the update. Have you tried deleting the printer, then rebooting without the printer. Then connecting the printer again. When it tries to install, try these two ways to get a different driver:

1. Try selecting Windows update to get the driver. This may take some time to go out and search
  2. Try selecting from list, then choose appropriate brand and model

Sometimes this helps on Windows 10, regarding more compatible printer drivers.

But, based on your description that the color red does not print on your test, I would think this is the root of the issue, not the driver, likely. Try removing all the cartridges and then reinstalling them. If you have extra cartridges, try replacing them one by one.

Also, you can try to update the firmware of the printer. Below is a link to the Lexmark drivers and firmware page for your printer:

http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=driversdownloads&linkSelected=node2%5Esubnode2&locale=EN&userlocale=EN_US

Let me know if that helps.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Hello again. I tried the troubleshooting steps you outlined. Removed printer, rebooted computer and then added the printer back. I also removed and re-installed the printer cartridges. I do not have new ones on hand to replace. The ink in all the nozzels look the same and very fresh. I also connected the printer via a cable. Nothing has changed the print quality.