Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

When I turn it on it says printer error turn off than on…

Customer Question
When I turn it...

When I turn it on it says printer error turn off than on .I've done this several times and nothing helps

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

Epson workforce 645

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your WorkForce?

I had to have work done on my computer so disconnected it now wont work

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

I just reinstalled the software

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Printers
12/19/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Does it give any specific error code/number?

No
I have turned off and on several times

There is nothing on the printer display itself such as 0x97 for example or 0xEA?

No just an x Error

Thanks for checking.

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Then remove the input paper supply.

Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.