Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I couldn't see my printer on my Mac book pro. Canon pixma…

Customer Question
Second opinion] HI I couldn't...
Second opinion] HI I couldn't see my printer on my Mac book proJA: What's the brand and model of your printer?Customer: canon pixma mx870JA: How long has this been going on with your Pixma?Customer: before three days I tried to print but it didn't and I reset the printer but now I couldn't even add itJA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?Customer: how much do you charge for printer expert to resolve the issue
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Printers
12/18/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 5 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your printer question.
Is your printer a wireless or WiFi printer?

Do you print to it from any other device than the MacBook Pro ?

I tried to print from my iPhone and it says there is no AirPrint printer
I couldn't find it in my mac book pro either

Have you tried unplugging the printer from the power, leaving it unplugged for at least 20 minutes, then plugging it in again to power, letting it start up for 2 minutes or longer, and then trying to connect to it?

I can copy but I couldn't connect it to my laptop to print
it is wifi printer
I tried unplugging and even I tried removing the ink , clean them and put back
This happened after I tried to reset the printer
It disappears and I don't know how to bring it back

How did you try to reset the printer, please, by what operation?

I went to system preference > printer and scanner> I put right click on the pixma mx870 and then click reset printer

OK, I understand. A reset of the printing system, in that case, not of the printer itself.

I would try doing an uninstall or Removal of the printer from the Printers list, restart of the computer, and reinstall of the printer's drivers on the computer - if you haven't already. It might get it working.

One question. My operating system is high Sierra . Would that be a problem
I couldn't find the printer name in the list at all
Hello Russel r u there?

High Sierra might be a problem, if it has no driver in it for your printer model.

Or, if the manufacturer of your printer has not yet tested their printer drivers for this model with High Sierra yet.

If the printer name isn't in the System Preferences - Printers & Faxes list, then it isn't installed at all.

And a difficulty: your printer's model has no driver released for it on Canon's website, for High Sierra!

It has no driver beyond El Capitan, 10.11:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mx-series/pixma-mx870?tab=drivers_downloads

If the printer has never showed up on, nor worked with, your High Sierra MacBook Pro, then it seems perhaps it cannot - no drivers for that printer beyond 10.11. I'm sorry to say so... try Adding in the printer model. See if that adds it, gets it installed... I doubt it will, but it is worth one effort.

Russell H., Printer and Office Tech