Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a HP Envy 7a640. It will not print and is saying it…

Customer Question
I have a HP...

I have a HP Envy 7a640. It will not print and is saying it is off line. I've tried unplugging the router and then plugging it back in and shutting down the printer and bringing it back up and nothing is helping. Can you help?

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your printer: wirelessly or by USB?

Wirelessly

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Thats a good question. My husband changed our password ***** our computer and ever since that the printer hasn't worked consistently .

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Does this cost me something?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
12/17/2017
Technician: Tech Ben, Information Systems Manager replied 8 months ago
Tech Ben
Tech Ben, Information Systems Manager
Experience: 15+ years of experience as an Information Systems Manager; responsible for overseeing computer and network systems, installation and maintenance, troubleshooting hardware and software issues, etc.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

I'm Kumar and I'll assist you today.

Can you please let us know how OLD the printer is? Did you try connecting the printer via USB?

Thanks,

Kumar

18 months old

Its new. Did you try connecting the printer by USB to the computer?

There are two ways to connect the printer to the Computer.

1) Wifi - Through router settings

2) USB - Using an USB Cable provided in the box the printer came in.

I have to look for the cord. It will take just a minute.

Okay.

Is it a flat $39 to fix it?

No, its a site request for remote assistance. Please do not select. We do not need it.

Ok. Thanks.

Did you find the cord?

No luck.

The only way is to reinstall the drivers which provides step by step instructions. Are you using a Windows or a Mac?

Mac
Sorry. I can't seem to open the file.

Can you please confirm the Printer Model?

HP envy 7640

Which version of Mac are you using?

1) Select System Preferences from the Apple menu.

2) Double-click on Print & Scan (Print & Fax).

3) In the Print & Scan (Print & Fax) window, click on the plus sign button.

4) Click on the IP tab in the Print Browser window.

1. Set Protocol to HP Jetdirect - Socket.
  2. For Address, enter the IP address of the printer you want to add. IP addresses of MSL printers are available on the printer list.
  3. Leave the Queue field blank. The Name and Location fields are for your reference to keep track of your printers and differentiate between multiple ones.
  4. For Print Using, do not select Generic Postscript Printer. OS X will try to locate an appropriate driver but if it cannot then It is recommended to download the correct driver from the manufacturer. Click on the name of the printer on the printer list to be taken to the manufacturer's driver download page.

5) Click Add. The lab printer will be added to your list of printers.