Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

On a HP Officejet J4550 all-in-one - indicates that there is…

Customer Question
Hey working on a...

Hey working on a HP Officejet J4550 all-in-one - indicates that there is a paperjam but have done all the procedures numerous times to check for jam or bits of paper stuck in printer - there is nothing there. Have cleaned the roller and blown out the back and front with compressed air. Cannot get it to move past paperjam issue ....

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

The device I am presently working on is a Pavilion dv6 with Windows 10 but was just trying to see if I could set the printer up on it. Previously had it working on a Windows 7 laptop when the paper jam originally happen - have never been able to get it past this point

Technician's Assistant: Happy to help. Want a weekly JustAnswer email to help with other issues? If so, what's your email address? And if you'd still like to talk to the Printer Expert, I'll connect you shortly.

No thanks - how long before I might get to talk to a tech?

Technician's Assistant: The Printer Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No I think that does it for now

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/17/2017
Technician: P. Kumar, Information Systems Manager replied 2 months ago
P. Kumar
P. Kumar, Information Systems Manager

Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

I'm Kumar and I'll assist you today.

Can you please let me know how old the printer is ?

Thanks,

Kumar

It was bought with in past 2 years. Was use connected to another laptop quite a bit for about 6 months or less and then had this problem. At the time got the paper jam issue and when unable to solve after working on it for 1/2 a day or more decided to quit since I had other printers I could work with. I have brought it down to my mother's to try and fix it and set it up for her as her HP printer's top hindges broke and cannot be easily replaced. Tks for your help!

Okay. Since how many days was the printer IDLE?

Lets run a reset test and see.

1. Press the Power button to turn on the product.

2. With the product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.

3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

4. Wait at least 60 seconds.

5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.

7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

I was hoping techs that worked on printer probems more frequently might know some other things I could try. I have been a computer training consultant on software for years and have trouble shot many printers and other hardware but cannot figure this one out. Just trying to see if there was any hope before giving up and using as a paperweight :( or throwing out.
Doing as you requested it was idle for about 1 year.

I see you have executed almost all possible ways to remove the Paper Jam error. You have cleaned the Rollers, Printer Heads. You have even used compressed air to remove any extra paper. Did you try to manually clean the print Heads with rubbing alcohol. The printer was kept IDLE for 1 year, that implies there should be a large deposit of ink on the print heads. We might want to clean that up.

Know have not try cleaning printer heads but this condition where it showed a "paper jam" was what happen at the time it went down a year ago and it has not been used since. It was not use terribly heavy when it was operational. But will gladly clean printer heads ...

Yes, I'll wait for your updates once you have completed cleaning print heads.

Reboot after power on and unplug and then replug provided same ... msg indicating "paper jam" Will see what I can do to see how to clean printer heads.
To clean printer heads is that the nozzle on the color ink cartridges? When I open the front panel to get to the ink cartridges do not align to the far right where it has provide access to pull them out and clean ...
Are you there?

Yes

Is the printer on?

I had asked .... To clean printer heads is that the nozzle on the color ink cartridges? When I open the front panel to get to the ink cartridges do not align to the far right where it has provide access to pull them out and clean ...

Its the metal connections where the cartridges connect the printer.

Got it ... the cartridges will not line up to the far right where the printer is designed for you to take the cartridges out of the printer thus I cannot get the cartridges out to clean the metal contacts.

This is not good. Are you saying the cartridges are not in the center?

Not the way this printer is designed it is suppose to move the cartridges to the far right an align where your hand has room to access the cartridges. I believe when I replaced printer cartridges before you had to do so by using the menu option which then cause the cartridges to align properly. Cannot access menu option with "paper jam" problem on the screen. I have replace cartridges before without any problem. Opening the front face of the printer to see inside does not cause the cartridges to align automatically. Any way I could text you a picture??

There is an option in the Text Box to send a picture but I do understand what the issue is.

You mentioned you are unable to access any options on the Printer to due to this error?

normally it would walk you through menu optino to set up to remove cartridges - really hate these newer printers - prefer the older ones easier to work on. Here is the link to printer manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01770356

Can you please go to the below link and let me know if you complete all the steps. I'll have a look at the link you provided.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01368841

Page 111 of Manual. We'll need that.

I have done everything noted in your link many times. Have check throughly with flashlight and cannot find any pieces of loose paper or stuff to pull out from front or back. I can never run the self test because of the "error msg"
The problem seems to be that the print cartridges will are getting stuck and will not move fully to the right so I can access. Instead the align just to the left of the opening partially behind a "column of plastic" thus I cannot reach them.

I see you have mentioned that the printer is 2 Years OLD. I will recommend you to get it replaced with a new one. HP replaces it for free as it is within its warranty period.

I don't know if I have purchase info now so doubt I could get it replaced. I'm just not sure if I could try to gently press the cartridges to the right to see if they would align in the proper place. Thoughts?

You can try that. Please be very careful as it could damage Logic board, Assembly, etc.

It moved far enough right so i could access black cartridge but will not go fully to right so I could acces color - did not use color cartridge alot so cleaning black not and putting back in and rebooting.

OK

Not working. It now return further to right after a reboot but still brings up "paper jam" msg and then can't do anything else. Any other ideas?

The only thing right now is cleaning. I have also thought about Logic Board failure but I do not think that should be the problem as you are not receiving any error codes.

I have cleaned heads and still not moving propertly or getting rid of the paper jam msg. I don't think it is logic board but can't get pass this so not sure what do.

I'm out of options. The only thing I can suggest is to get a replacement. I can still open the question for other experts and allow them to have a look.

Just hoping someone who worked on printers more might have dealt with the problem before and could suggest things I didn't know about or couldn't find online. Tks

Okay. Opting out for a new expert to have a look.

Thanks,

Kumar

Ok but my problem is that I have to leave here for now and will not be back for a few days. If another tech could look at my thread and email me if they think they could be of help it would be appreciated. If noone can help me come up with a solution then we will see what do do. Tks
Technician: Harry, Engineer replied 2 months ago
Harry, Engineer

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays coming upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

John, Computer Science Engineer