Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

A message comes upp that says my ink cartridge door is open…

Customer Question
A message comes upp...

A message comes upp that says my ink cartridge door is open when it is actually closed

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

HP photosmart 6520 series model # SDGO8-1241

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your SDGO8-1241?

Since last week

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

How to update?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Printers
12/15/2017
Technician: Mike Taylor, Technician replied 7 months ago
Mike Taylor
Mike Taylor, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be the one to assist you with your question regarding your issue today.

Please can you try a reset on the printer for me

Turn the printer off and unplug from wall.

Wait 5 mins for power drain which will reset codes

Plug the printer back in and turn it back on.

Let me know if the printer has removed the error message for the open door

Hit reply after you follow the steps and if it doesnt work we will try more to fix the issue

Thanks Mike

No error message is still there

Thankyou for doing that. Did this start happening after any particular thing? For example was you changing a cartridge or was there a paper jam?

No

The fix for this will not impress you... When you get this error ad it will not stop even after the door is in fact closed, it means one of 2 things has happened.

For the most part when I have these issues in my shop in Houston I have to replace the sensor for the door. There is also a circuit board below the door cover which is a microswitch. Sometimes they break mainly because they are extremely fragile... You will have no choice but to take this to a service center to get it repaired. This isnt something you can do yourself.

I hate to give you that news but I am very experienced in these matters and I am 100% confident in my answer for you.

You CAN try to touch the micro switch to see if its stuck but that is extremely rare to actually help the situation. It is so fragile that it either works or not. No inbetween but I am not going to stop you from trying.. Hopefully your printer is not very new. BUT if it is still under warranty then that should be covered under it. You will just have the inconvenience of having to ship it out to them.. Not a bad thing, sometimes you end up with a new printer instead. Ive had customer actually have that happen to their surprise

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating for my expert knowledge today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know and ill be more than happy to help you more