Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Worked yesterday. Now just spits out blank paper when I try…

Customer Question
Hi. Worked yesterday. Now...

Hi. Worked yesterday. Now just spits out blank paper when I try to print. No error messages to work off of. HP Officejet 6500 wireles E709.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

Windows 10.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your OfficeJet?

Since yesterday afternoon.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

The computer is new. It's my company laptop. It gets updated with whatever they need almost daily. That policy is out of my control. Couldn't update OS even if I wanted to - locked down.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

That's all. Just spitting out white paper. Tried changing print parameters and also unplugging/replugging and rebooting.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/15/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

On Setup menu, no option for clean print head. I probably do need a new printer, but I need to try to print something now. Options are: 1. help, 2. print report, 3. speed dial setup, 4. basic fax setup, 5, advanced fax setup, 6. tools, 7. preferences, 8. network setup. Which should I select?
No thanks for remote assistance. At this point, it probably is best I get a new printer today instead.

It should be under tools, then you will see cleaning from there.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?

Nathan, Engineer