Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I am getting an error message 5C00 on my Canon MP630

I am getting an...

I am getting an error message 5C00 on my Canon MP630 printer. Can u help?

Technician's Assistant: Is your MP630 displaying the error on all print jobs, even after you restart it?

Yes. I have tried restarting it a few times. There is also a loud grinding noise as it "prepares" to print, then a constant grinding noise.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Never

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes. The large black printer cartridge is empty or just about empty, however I understood that the small black cartridge would back up the large one, when needed.

12/13/2017
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is damaged. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc

While it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 9 year old model, that was built for a service life of 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan, I have tried three times to get back to JUST ANSWER TO CANCEL THIS REQUEST. I UNDERSTOOD THE FEE TO BE FIVE DOLLARS, NOT FORTY FIVE DOLLARS. CAN YOU PLEASE CONFIRM THAT YOU WILL STOP THE ORDER. THANK YOU.

I have no ability to stop/cancel or refund anything. We're all independent techs here working on our own personal time in a good faith effort to help, hence my answer to you above.

I can send a note to customer service for you though to make sure that you are not on a membership or subscription.

You were charged the full agreed upon fee though, which is not 5, that was just to post the question. The total was displayed and agreed to on the payment page.

Also the total I do not believe was 45,

I'm in the US so I'm not sure of the conversion rate, but it was probably in the low 30s total.

For comparison purposes, had you gone to any computer/printer repair shop, they'd charge you a minimum of $100 for the exact same answer I gave you here.

Nathan, Engineer

Thank you for the rating, I appreciate your consideration, and I have checked that this is all a one time help, you are not obligated to anything else.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5