Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

It won't print and the light is blinking 3 times next to the…

Customer Question
It won't print and...

It won't print and the light is blinking 3 times next to the triangle. The cartridge door is closed and paper does not seem to be stuck. It almost seems to me like it could be the rollers but printer is not even a year old

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your printer?

MG3022

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

Yes I can open that lid

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No just want to be able to use the printer

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Printers
12/12/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault (line feed fault). That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Then remove the input paper supply.

Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

It almost seems like it’s the rollers bc it pulls paper down like it will print then it stops midway. But the printer isn’t very old. What do you think?
I did above but it didn’t work

It is more likely a failure in the paper feed mechanism (bad motor).

This is a very basic model printer, these low cost printers are built for a service life of only about a year and it is very common to see them not even last that long, they are essentially made to be disposable.

If the above cleaning and reset process did not help, then it is a hardware defect and the printer would need to be replaced. You may be able to file a warranty claim with canon to see if they will replace it for you. Outside of the warranty, it is not worth fixing, it would cost $150 to fix and you could buy a brand new printer for half that (or less for another entry level model).

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Engineer