Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

When I want to print a document, the printer is telling me…

Customer Question
When I want to...

When I want to print a document, the printer is telling me the ink cartridge is not compatible with this printer. I just purchased two black ink cartridges form your company but they are marked inkjet.

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your printer: wirelessly or by USB?

UBS

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Yesterday

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Where do I get your exact cartridges?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Printers
12/12/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

What is the brand and model of the printer?
Where specifically did you get those cartridges?

Lexmark x 2670

Where did you get the cartridges?

No, I am 87 years old an do not have the knowledge, we are just home users

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

I need you to tell me WHERE you purchased the ink cartridges.

where can I buy original lexmark ink cartridges?
The ink cartridges that I purchased was from Lexmakk

Thank you for checking. If you bought it from lexmark, then it is an original cartridge, it is just very old stock, as they aren't made anymore.

Since it is not accepting them though, this is then a hardware failure,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2009 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault. These lexmarks are widely regarded as the worst printers ever made, they were very poorly designed and built and have very high failure rates. They were so bad that lexmark nearly went bankrupt supporting all the warranty claims, and stopped making inkjets entirely shortly after this model.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $90, A logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.