Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a Brothers MFC--J4510W which has stopped printing. It…

Customer Question
I have a Brothers...

I have a Brothers MFC--J4510W which has stopped printing. It gives me a message "Ink Absorber Ful" and shows me an empty black cartridge even though I inserted brand new cartridge the indicator still shows it as empty...any answers??

Technician's Assistant: What Brother model do you have?

J4510W

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Brother printer?

The "ink absorber full" message has been showing up for the last two weeks. The console shows a red "X" when I try to print and by touching the red X it would print .....until today. Now it stopped.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

I just had my computer cleaned today. Had a bunch of malware dumped and it's looking good but didn't help my printer at all.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I'm going to be in the Toms River area tomorrow for a doctor's appointment at !0:)) AM. Could i drop by with my printer about noon time?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Printers
12/12/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is full. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc

While it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 5 year old model, that was built for a maximum service life of 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.