Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600. All my ink cartridges

Customer Question
I have an HP...

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600. All my ink cartridges depleted. I bought a black cartridge and no others. Inserted black cartridge, but printer won't work. Screen says: "Until cartridges are replaced make sure the printer is turned on and to avoid damage to the printer. One or more cartridges are missing or damaged." How do I print only black?

Technician's Assistant: Is this the first time you've had to change the ink for your OfficeJet?

No. Many times, However, this is the first time I'm only using black. At the moment color cartridges are too expensive.

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

Yes, I am able to open the lid. The only message on the screen is the one above. I do get it back to the print screen, but it always goes back to the message above.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No thank you.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Printers
12/11/2017
Technician: John Lohr, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 2 months ago
John Lohr
John Lohr, Computer Hardware Engineer

What version of windows are you using?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure.
Are you still there?

Is the start button in the bottom left corner round or square?

The power button is round on the lower right hand side. In the small screen that tells you a message the OK you touch is on the lower right side of the screen.
Hello? Just wanting to make sure you are there.

Yes I am still here. On your computer I was asking, not the printer. Sorry

My bad. I have a Dell laptop (I think Inspiron, but not sure). The power button is on the upper left side. A quick message appeared on my computer screen saying the printer is not working - not reading.

Please see this video to help you switch to black only, does that work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwV0XJKpP0s

Not at all. I could never do that, plus I don't have a screwdriver. Totally out of my ability.
I've inserted the black cartridge just like the old one. Don't understand why it won't print just in black.
Help?

A screw driver? That video should have been entirely through changing settings on your computer

Ok. I promise it was opening the printer and taking out the cartridge holder, then using a screwdriver and using a wire. Totally out of my league. Will view this new video. Thank you.

Ok. Report back when you need further assistance.

I'm back. That didn't work either. That one had a syringe, which I don't have. It also had wires or small tubes going into the cartridges which I have never had. What now?

One moment please.

Thanks.

On your computer, is the start button in the lower left corner round or square?

I don't have a start button. I have a power button on my laptop which is in the upper left corner. I hit the power and it comes on and I just go from there.

It will be on screen in the lower left corner

I hit power on my laptop, then click on my name and a rotating circle, a colored screen appears and I click on it and immediately all my icons appear on my screen. I click on the icon I want to got to. I never click on a start button.
What next? With all due respect, I would have never imagined this would be so difficult.
The start button has an image of the windows logo in the bottom left corner of your screen
I think I know what your are talking about. It is the Windows logo and it is purple and is in the bottom left corner of the screen.
Thank you. When you click on it does a full screen menu open or does a small one?
I'm pretty sure a full screen.
However, once again, I almost never use it.
Please move your mouse to the top right corner of your screen and keep pushing it into that corner until a menu opens. Once it opens, click the magnifying glass icon and search "printer". Once that menu is up let me know
I have done that and clicked on printer. I hope I can get back to it.
In this menu, right click your printer and select preferences. Here you can switch to print with black only
Do I click the "Color management" icon?
That is correct
Do I click on "Understanding color management settings" which is underlined? I don't know what to do on this page?
Do you see an "Advanced" option?
I clicked on Advanced - a lot of stuff on the page. What now?
Do you see a "print in grayscale" option?
No. There is no "print in grayscale" option.
What all is listed?
Hang on. I'm writing all this down.
Not a problem
On left side of screen: 1. Windows Color System Defaults 2. Device photo 3. Viewing conditions profile 4. ICC Rendering Intent to WCS Gamut Mapping 5. Default redering intent: 6. Percepual (photo images) 7. Relative Colorimetric (line extra) 8. Absolute Colorimetric (Simulate paper) 9. Business graphics 10. Display calibration (Calibrate display is in a box) 11. Color settings are stored separately for each user. To make changes for new users and shared printers, click change system defaults (Change system defaults is in a box). A long list of system defaults with drop downs is on the right side of the screen.
What now? This is taking a long time.
This is under the "Printing Preferences" correct? Sorry for the delayed responses as I have left the office for the day and am helping you from my phone
No. This is under Color Management and then Advanced. I have followed your instructions. Do you want to connect me with someone else at work to assist me? Would we resolve the problem faster? I have work to do shortly.
This has been one hour and 45 minutes to tell me how to print in black. Why can't by just sticking the cartridge in it won't print?
What now?
The reason you cannot just stick a black cartage in and print only black is because the HP printing preferences are currently set to print with all cartages. Starting from in the printer menu right click on your printer and select printing preferences. In this menu, select advanced. In this menu, do you see the greyscale option?
No and I am completely lost! I got on "printing menu" clicked on it and got a long list of things across the screen - one wanting me to buy something. There are websites to go to. No greyscale option. Lets fix this.
Forget it. I'll go to someone else. This is ridiculous.
Technician: Harry, Engineer replied 2 months ago
Harry, Engineer

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays coming upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Harry, Engineer