Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My e ESP 9250 printer only prints extremely faint writing…

Customer Question
My e ESP 9250...

My e ESP 9250 printer only prints extremely faint writing from the computer. Does fine with copies. Just installed new ink

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your printer?

ESP 9250

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

No error message. I can open the lid

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Printers
12/11/2017
Technician: P. Kumar, Information Systems Manager replied 4 months ago
P. Kumar
P. Kumar, Information Systems Manager

Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

I'm Kumar and I'll assist you today.

Can you please confirm the model of your printer?

Thanks,

Kumar

Kodak ESP 9250

How old is the printer?

5 or six years.

Can you please try print head cleaning. Can we also check the settings on your system from where you are taking the prints.

I've run the head cleaning twice. Please note that it copies fine. The problem is printing from the computer.
It responds normally when I press print, makes the normal sounds. But the paper is almost blank

Is it possible for you to a Remote Assistance so that I can check the settings and install drivers.

Sorry . Too expensive. Could the problem be in the cable?

No, its not the cable. Sharing instructions. Give me a moment.

Okay. Here you go. Please let me know once you have completed everything.

First thing. Please check if the printer You can call 1-***-***-**** and give Kodak the serial # of the printer to check. If you've run numerous printhead cleanings with no results that can send you a new printhead replacement (this is the part that holds the ink cartridges).

IF it is not in warranty, lets try a firmware update and a printhead soak, first please download and install this firmware driver, click HERE and follow the instructions there to do so. After you've upgraded the firmware, go to the printer and press the Home button. Select Maintenance and press ok. Select Install Ink Cartridges and press ok. Follow the LCD panel instructions Now make sure that the ink cartridges are not missing their labels, have all prepackaging taken off of them, and reinsert them firmly into the printer until you hear a snap.

Close the printer access door, and see what the LCD says, if it tells you any ink is low replace that ink cartridge, and then try another print. If the ink cartridges are not empty, and the print is still bad, go ahead and remove the ink cartridges, and unplug the printer power cable from the wall and the printer itself. Then, remove the printhead, unlatch the printhead by lifting the latch in the center of the carriage.

Examine the printhead and wipe off any excess ink with a damp, lint free cloth. Do not touch the copper contacts on the printhead. Now reinsert it.

Push firmly against the target label of the printhead until you hear a loud snap.

Close the printer access door and reconnect the power cable, then turn the printer back on.

For printers with LCDs, follow the instructions on the LCD screen.

Follow the directions to reinstall the ink cartridges.

If you still face the same issue, and after running a few cleanings you see black either faded, banded, or missing on the nozzle test sheet.

Then before ordering a new printhead replacement, this next part will involve soaking the current printhead (the part that holds the ink cartridges) to dissolve any clogs on the nozzle where the ink sprays out. You will need a container large enough for the printhead, q-tips/cotton swabs, paper towels, a lint free cloth, and some distilled water.

Open the printer and remove all ink cartridges, then seal them in a ziplock plastic bag that has a damp paper towel inside it. This will keep the ink cartridges moist so they don't dry out. Set these aside, propped upright so no ink leaks out. Now turn off the printer and disconnect all cables from the back of it. Place a folded paper towel in the bottom of a container large enough to fit the printhead. Fill it with 1 inch of very hot, but not boiling water (Heating for one minute in the microwave is fine). Now unlatch the printhead again and take it out.

Set the printhead gently in the container, nozzle side down. There should be enough water to soak the nozzles but not to touch the electrical contacts on the back of the printhead. Pour some heated water inside the printhead just to wet it. Let it soak for one hour, then drain the container and refill it with another inch of heated water. This time move the printhead to a different spot on the paper towel and let it soak again. Repeat this for 3 more hours.

Now take out the printhead and rinse it thoroughly under your faucet water in the sink. During the rinse use your finger to lightly tap the round nubs where the ink cartridges connect to the printhead. This will create pressure to force clogged ink through the nozzle. If there are rubber gaskets around each nub take extra care not to dislodge or lose these. It's ok to get the electrical contacts on the back of the printhead wet we just didn't want to soak them earlier.

Now turn the printhead upside down and rinse the nozzle on the bottom. Keep rinsing it until no further ink comes out, it may take a while depending on the severity of the clogs. Take out the printhead and lightly blot it on a damp, folded paper towel a few times. Now rinse the printhead some more, specifically until you see no more ink coming out of the nozzles on the bottom of the printhead. If you see gummed up ink that won't rinse off you can take a dampened q-tip and very gently rub it off the nozzle. Do not put any pressure on the nozzle.

Then lightly dampen a lint-free cloth (not paper towels), and use it to wipe the copper contacts on the ink cartridges (if any), and inside the printhead where the contacts meet the cartridges (if any). Do this until no ink comes off the cloth. Also clean the electrical contacts on the back of the printhead, but wipe from bottom to top, in one direction. Do the same for the electrical contacts where the printhead meets the printer itself inside the unit.

Finally you will need to rinse the printhead off with distilled water, this will remove any minerals/solids from the tap water you used to rinse out the printhead, which can cause further clogs later if not removed. Then using a dry paper towel and q-tips, dry the printhead as best you can. Very gently blot dry the sensitive electrical contacts on the back and the nozzles on the bottom of the printhead. Set it on some folded paper towels to completely air dry, then reinsert the printhead along with the ink cartridges.

Plug in all cables again and turn the printer back on, then try a few more printhead cleanings as we did earlier. You may leave the printer overnight and try a few more printhead cleanings in the morning, as this allows any remaning air or clogs in the printhead to further dissolve. Please let me know how it prints then.

Thanks,

Kumar

John, Computer Science Engineer