Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Have a Pixma MX882 which has a B200 error. I have unplugged…

Customer Question
Have a Pixma MX882...

Have a Pixma MX882 which has a B200 error. I have unplugged the printer from the outlet and it still gives me the same error telling me to contact the service center. Can you help?

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

Will be using a Lenovo laptop

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Pixma?

Just started today

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

It's been a while

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Printers
12/11/2017
Technician: Ashik, Technician replied 5 months ago
Ashik, Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

The B200 error indicates that "Printhead Temperature exceeded" or "Cartridge failure". This happens when you were printing, either one or more of the printhead inkwells ran out of ink and the printing continued. Thus the printing without ink in the wells would overheat the print head nozzles and is potentially burned out. The head can also burn out even if the inks are full. The head can also burn out even if the inks are full like a sudden failure on the head, internal board failure etc. 90% of the times, the error indicates a hardware issue.

Turn off the printer for 20 minutes and also disconnect it from power.

If the error is not going away after turning it off for 20 minutes, then there is the possibility that you have already burnt out the head. However, follow the steps below and see if it works

Method 1 :

• Turn off the printer and unplug it. Wait 1 minute.
  • Open the cover and turn on the printer
  • Wait for print carriage to start moving to the left and let it go past halfway.
  • Before print carriage reaches left-hand side (but after going halfway across) shut the cover immediately.
  • Leave the Printer turned on. This should bypass the error unless the head is completely failed

(this solution is usually temporary and the problem may return again even if it worked)

Method 2 :

1. Open the cover and remove all the ink cartridges and also remove the print head (if removable).

2. Turn off the printer and unplug the power cable. Then clean the print head thoroughly with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab. Dry it with a clean and soft paper.

3. Also clean the print head-to-printer connectors (anything metal-looking) with rubbing alcohol and q-tips. Dry it for 30 minutes.

4. Turn on the printer, put the print head back in the printer and insert the cartridges back.

After that turn off the printer for 5 minutes and also unplug it. This will reset the firmware which rules out software issues if any.

If you have another cartridge there, then install it and check it.

If it still not working, then you have to send it back to Canon for replacement of head and components. I'm really sorry, this is something that we can't fix online if the above steps don't work for you. If the printer is more than 2 years old, then it is not worth to replace the head and components. You should get a new printer because it has more life for head and other components than the current printer and you will get a fresh warranty where repairing/replacing existing components doesn't give that.

I'm really sorry if my solutions don't work. Once the head is failed, the chance of fixing it is slim to none. It is one of the wear items on the printer than fails after a certain degree of use. It is also a costly part where its replacement may cost up to a price of a new current generation printer.

If you would like to replace the head yourself, please let me know and I will find the head and its price online. So you can replace it at a cheaper cost than from fixing it from the store.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are not satisfied with my answer, please don't rate me bad or poor or OK as it will badly affect my job here. You don't have to rate anything if you are not satisfied and ignore the rating request.

Ashik, Technician