Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

The machine will not print. Epson model c471A WF2540. A time…

Customer Question
The machine will not...

The machine will not print

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

Epson model c471A WF2540

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your C471A?

A long time ,we haven't used it for several years

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

We never used it with a computer just used it for printing

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Printers
12/11/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 2 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Does the Epson in question photocopy a one-page original document placed face-down on the glass sheet?

Or, does it produce a sheet of blank paper? or perhaps not even do that much, produce no paper at all on output?

blank page that comes out
the machine is not connected to a computer, we just were using the printer

OK. How long has it been sitting idle please, before you recently tried it? I presume it was not powered On during all that time.

several years

All right. Now, check the Ink Level using the machine's control panel, please. (If you need instructions, on how to do this let me know.)

black 3/4, full colors full

OK. The ink system may be clogged, or the ink cartridges may be dried up too.

We could begin by replacing the ink cartridges, but that would be rather lavish, if the ink system is clogged up too... it might be a needless expense. I advise trying the following first, to address the probable ink system issue first:

In outline:
1. Clean the printhead. (This is not done by hand, which may damage the printer... instead, use the menu function in the printer's own menu system on its control panel... let me know if you need the specific instructions for doing that.)
2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)
This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.
3. Clean the printhead a second time.
4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.
5. Clean the printhead a third time.
Then test whether ink is showing up at all in prints or photocopies at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or also let me know, if it does help - I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!

thanks, i'll get on that!

OK. Let me know by and by how that approach seems to be going. You may return to this conversation any time, or much later, or tomorrow, by going to this page for your question:

http://www.justanswer.com/printers/av4cx-machine-will-not-print-epson-model-c471a-wf2540-time.html

John, Computer Science Engineer