Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a HL 5240 laser printer. All my lights are flshing.

Customer Question
I have a HL...

I have a HL 5240 laser printer. All my lights are flshing. Replaced the drum and the toner. they are still flashing and the printer is not working. suggestions?

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? If so, what do they say?

No

Technician's Assistant: The last time you changed your cartridges, did you replace them with new ones or refill the old ones?

New ones. about two weeks ago. It was working until this am

Technician's Assistant: Happy to help. Want a weekly JustAnswer email to help with other issues? If so, what's your email address? And if you'd still like to talk to the Printer Expert, I'll connect you shortly.

Is there a charge involved?

Technician's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Printer Technician. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

How rapidly does the printer technician reply?

Technician's Assistant: The Printer Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Customer:***@******.***

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Printers
12/11/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 9 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
If *all* lights on the printer's control panel are flashing on and off, in unison with each other, then you have a severe problem, in case I need to say that.

First, unplug the printer from the power.

Then, let me know, how old is the printer in question? and is it powered through a surge protector, or directly from the wall outlet?

Leave the printer unplugged from power meanwhile, please, until I advise you further. Let me know the above info about the printer, meanwhile, please.

Very old--many years.plugged in via surge protestor

OK. That's good news in some ways, in other ways not so good. But the surge protector may have helped it reach its current age.

Leave it unplugged for another 15 minutes or longer, and then plug it in, see whether it then initializes correctly or in usable condition.

will do. and will then get back to you with the results.

OK.

no change. same issue

I'm sorry to hear that. The all-lights-flash on a printer means, it is failing to initialize, owing to a severe problem in its internal electronics. (It's not exactly a specific error, it's a very general error signal. Meaning, the printer is too 'broken' to tell what is wrong... it might be control circuitry, or power supply internal to the printer, and several other things.)

The printer will need either service-repairing, or replacing, I regret to have to say.

(- Was the printer perhaps moved recently? had any part inside it replaced recently?)

none of the above. Assume it is just too old. Will replace it.Thx

OK. I'm sorry the news wasn't better. You did well to keep it on a surge protector - that kept it going for this long.

thx you happy holidays

And you also, please enjoy your day and the holidays.