Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Wanting to set up my scan function - I have USB in both Mac…

Customer Question
Hi - wanting to...

Hi - wanting to set up my scan function - I have USB in both Mac computer and WF - when I invoke scan function I am told there is a communication error. What am I doing wrong?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

WF-3640

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your printer?

I am only trying to set up Scan today so this is my first time. Is there a setup wizard I missed?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No, thanks!

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Printers
12/8/2017
Technician: Ashik, Technician replied 7 months ago
Ashik, Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

You probably don't have the scanning drivers installed. On your Mac, go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Printers and Scanners. You will see your printer name there. Select it and delete it by pressing the minus button at the bottom left.

Now, go to this website --> https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/WorkForce-Series/Epson-WorkForce-WF-3640/s/SPT_C11CD16201?review-filter=macOS+10.13.x

Download and install the "Drivers and Utilities Combo Package"

Make sure you open the downloaded file and install it. Once you did that, go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Printers and Scanners. Click + button.

Don't add it if it appears under Nearby Printers. Instead, click Add Printer. From the resulting screen, select your printer name and wait 10 seconds. Then select Epson software under Use if Secure Air Print or Air Print is selected. (This step is only necessary if you are connecting via Wireless)

Once you did that, you can open Image Capture application from Applications folder to scan (In Image Capture, select your printer in left side under Devices or Shared)

You can also open the Epson Scan app to scan which you can find it in Applications folder

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.