Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a similar problem with my HP 2200 printer and a Win…

Customer Question
I have a similar problem...
I have a similar problem with my HP 2200 printer and a Win 10 Laptop. When I connect the printer to the computer via USB the device management recognizes a device "IEEE 1284 controller" but not a printer. The printing test fails - no reaction of the printer. The printing queue shows a print job waiting, but nothing happens. What can I do?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Printers
12/8/2017
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 9 months ago
Suhasini Velu

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Before we proceed with any troubleshooting,please once unplug your printer from the wall outlet wait for 2 minutes and plug it back in.
Let me know when this is done.

ok
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 9 months ago

An I would like to know is that a Windows computer you have?

It is a Lenovo Laptop (64 bit) with Windows 10 Home.
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 9 months ago

Alright, is the printer plugged back in?

it is.
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 9 months ago

Alright, now try to print some documents and let me know what is happening.

The printing is prepared, but then comes an error message from the printer. The printing queue shows the document . Status is empty.
No reaction of the printer.
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 9 months ago

Alright, please wait.

Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 9 months ago

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-business-inkjet-2200-2250-printer-series/27092

Please go to this link and install your printer again.

Let me know what happens.

On this page is only a hint to use the built-in drivers. I didn't recognize a file to load down.
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 9 months ago

Alright, did you try updating the driver software on your computer?

I did. In the list of the printers which is shown during the manual installation are 2 drivers for the HP 2200: one from HP and the other from Microsoft.
I now used
1st the Microsoft driver during the installation
2nd the HP driver.
The result in both cases: Printer status: Error. No test page was printed
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 9 months ago

In that case, let me open this for other experts to handle this.

Technician: Harry, Engineer replied 9 months ago
Harry, Engineer

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays coming upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

The problem still exists. The drivers were updated. For my printer HP Inkjet 2200 there are 3 entries after the Windows Update:
HP Business Inkjet 2200/2250
HP Business Inkjet 2200/2250 (HPA) (HP)
HP Business Inkjet 2200/2250 (HPA) (Microsoft)
I tried driver installation with each one - no success.
Might it be a problem with USB 2.0 and USB 3.0? I got a message referring this, but the change between the 2 USB wasn't successful.

Did you install the drivers from the HP website?

I tried to install the drivers from the link above which your colleague Suhasini sent to me. But there was only the hint that the drivers are built in Windows 10.
So I didn't find a download on the HP site. After installation via Windows update I found the second entry "HP Business Inkjet 2200/2250 (HPA) (HP)" as mentioned above.
That should be the HP driver?

Correct. They are built into the Windows 10 OS so it will download the correct drivers for you when you attempt to install. It will ask if the program can connect to the internet to do so.

I finished the installation with the HP driver. Under properties of the printer there are 2 entries:
<timestamp> device configured (printqueue.inf)
<timestamp> device started.
When I try to print a testpage there is a message that the printer is in error state.
No further reaction...

Since the printer is around 17 years old, it was not designed to work with Windows 10 so if the built in drivers do not work then it is not compatible.

Is that Your final answer?

Yes

Why did I get the entry
"HP Business Inkjet 2200/2250 (HPA) (HP)" after Updating Windows 10?
If it is not compatible there won't be an entry for this printer!!!
Poor Answer, sorry!

OK