Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I was printing a multipage document. The printer stopped…

Customer Question
I was printing a...

I was printing a multipage document. The printer stopped after 5 pages with one left. An error message out of paper came up. There was plenty of paper. I reloaded it and still same message.

Technician's Assistant: Is your printer displaying the error on all print jobs, even after you restart it?

I followed protocol for resetting printer -now I get a no computer connection error message. It is plugged in via cable Yes it is on all print jobs

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

Long time ago

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

How do I update printer driver software on my Mac

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Printers
12/8/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

What is the model of the printer?
What is the exact error message?

Sorry for the delay in responding.
HP 6500n
First message is “out of Paper”. Load paper and then press OK. I️ reloaded paper
Second message no connection to computer. That has since gone away

Thanks for confirming,

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Then remove the input paper supply.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Engineer