Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

The power light is off; red paper and red ink lights

Customer Question
The green power light...

The green power light is off; red paper and red ink lights flashing. Does not print

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

Epson Stylus Photo R200

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Stylus?

Started 24 hours ago. I turned it off for a while but when I turn it back on the green light goes off and the above happens.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

I'm not a very technically knowledgeable person. As far as I know I've never updated the printer. I did get a new Dell about a year ago but the printer has been fine for since then....

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/7/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Are those 2 lights flashing simultaneously, or alternating?

alternating

Thank you for the information,

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is full. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc

While it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 14 year old model, that was built for a service life of no more than 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

how quickly will you respond?

I responded already, a few minutes ago. Please scroll up (or refresh the page with your F5 key) to view that.