Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I just installed replacement ink cartridges for a Deskjet…

Customer Question
I just installed replacement...

I just installed replacement ink cartridges for a Deskjet e-all in one series.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your printer?

DESKJET 3520 e-ALL IN ONE SERIES

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

I cant get printer to stop or cancel printing. The prtint is just black andyellow

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
12/5/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 8 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

To stop printing in such a case:

Open the paper tray, and remove the paper from it. That should stop the printing for sure.

Then turn OFF the printer. Leave it OFF for 5 minutes or longer.

Meanwhile, go to the printer's queue window, (in Windows 10 known as 'See What's Printing' in View Devices And Printers after you select the printer icon) and remove all print jobs there, by doing the menu function for Cancel All Print Jobs.

Then turn ON the printer again after that is finished up.

- As for the yellow and black printing... that sounds as if the cyan and magenta cartridges aren't working. Assuming they are correctly installed, try this:

In outline:
1. Clean the printhead. (not manually, but using the automated Cleaning function, either in the printer's Setup or Settings menu, the Maintenance sub-menu, or in the Maintenance tab of the Printer Preferences on the computer.)
2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)
This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.
3. Clean the printhead a second time.
4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.
5. Clean the printhead a third time.
Then test whether cyan and magenta ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)