Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a 5100 error I just replaced all my ink tanks. I've…

Customer Question
I have a 5100...

I have a 5100 error I just replaced all my ink tanks. I've removed the ink absorber (?) and washed out all the ink cavities. Still am receiving error with the alarm flashing yellow. I've turned off the printer, I've held down the Stop button for 5 seconds. Can you advise me what to do next?

Technician's Assistant: Is your printer displaying the error on all print jobs, even after you restart it?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I have not done that

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No not now, thanks

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Printers
12/4/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 6 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This message indicates a carriage fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

The display is telling me the ink absorber is almost full, but I have cleaned the ink cavities.

What is the actual model number of the printer?

Canon MX870
I am unable to move the carriage manually.

Thank you,

unfortunately there is nothing more you can do at the user level. Even the cleaning is not something that is intended to be a diy job. Even though you have done that part, the error code will not go away until the ink counter is reset, and that is not something that you can do yourself. The ONLY way to resolve it is to take the printer in to a canon authorized repair facility and they have a special software tool that is used to clear the ink counters. They will charge about $100 for that service, which is generally not practical as this is a 2010 model printer which was designed for a service life of no more than 3 years. With the age in mind as well as the additional possible carriage issues (likely damaged when you were cleaning the pads), I would not consider the printer worth fixing when you can buy a brand new and better model with a fresh warranty for about $75.

I can help you find a repair shop or recommend replacement options, if you would like.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.