Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

How do I change the ink in my Epson XP-440. i bought the…

Customer Question
How do I change...

How do I change the ink in my Epson XP-440. i bought the black in that I need and it is an Epson ink cartidge. What do I do next to change the ink?

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your printer?

Expression Home XP-440

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

Yes. I can open the lid but the ink cartridges go back in the left corner and I cannot reach them. Should I have the copier on when I am trying to make the cartridge change?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

NO, Can I talk to a real person so they can walk me thru the steps. It would really help

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Printers
12/4/2017
Technician: Karthik, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Karthik
Karthik, Engineer

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

OK. Thank you. I an here
No thank you,
When will I have an answer to my question?
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, it appears you requested a new expert. I'm Nathan and would be happy to help.

Please note though that the site is not instant, this is a conversation and may require some back and forth communication so please allow time for messages to go back and forth for us to respond.

This is not an automatic process as on some other printers, some menu steps are required prior to physical replacement:
Press the home (house icon) button and select Setup (wrench icon) > Maintenance > Ink Cartridge Replacement.

Lift up the scanner unit (below the glass)

Open the cartridge cover

Squeeze the tab on the cartridge and lift the cartridge straight up to remove it.

Gently shake the new cartridge four or five times, then remove the cartridge from the package, removing the yellow tape.

Insert the new cartridge into the holder and push it down until it clicks into place.

Close the cartridge cover and push it down until it clicks into place.

Select Check on the LCD screen to make sure the cartridge or cartridges are installed correctly.

Close the scanner unit.

Let me know if that works for you.

I did home then I pressed set up and then OK but there is nothing there that says maintenance. Please help

You need to keep arrowing down/over, there are multiple pages of options there where you should eventually get to Maintenance or to Ink

When we press down, it just repeats itself. Maintenance never comes up on the screen.
We press right it does not come up. We press left it does not come up.
Why is this so hard?
How do you get the ink cartridge to move out of its locked position?

You cannot move it, except through the menu based ink replacement process to initiate the carriage moving.

That option should be there, on screen

you need to press Setup, then Maintenance, then Ink Cartridge Replacement.

It is free standing and not connected to my computer. Does that make a difference?

No that does not matter, all these functions are done directly on the printer, using the front panel controls.