Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I'm getting smudges of black toner (front and back) on my…

Customer Question
I'm getting smudges of...

I'm getting smudges of black toner (front and back) on my photo prints when I use glossy paper. What can I do to correct this?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

MFC 946OCDN

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your printer?

A month or so

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Don't know

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Printers
12/4/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 7 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Smudges on both sides could mean your toner cartridge is leaking, and there is loose toner inside the printer, that is falling or smearing onto each page as it passes through.

Some suggest to print 10 pages and see if the problem goes away... but I would say it is surer to examine your printer's interior as follows:

It is usual, with all laser printer problems, to Open, Inspect, Clean (carefully), Close Up, and Try Again.

Open: Unplug the machine for safety. Get access to the internal workings, esp. those of the problem area. Remove cartridge(s) if necessary.

Inspect: look for anything wrong or odd in the problem area. Spilled toner? bent or broken parts? stuck sensor switch? tabs or tape not removed from toner cartridge(s)?

Clean (carefully): Take a dry white or light colored high-quality lint-free rag cloth, and wipe firmly all possible plastic or especially metal surfaces that could have toner/paper dust/fluff/anything on them. Carefully, to avoid touching, spraying, moistening, abrading, or exposing to direct light for longer than 1 minute out of 15 or more, the shiny, usually blue-green (but sometimes red-purple) photosensitive 'drum' or roller, which is easily damaged.

Close up: put everything back in, close covers, etc.

Try again: plug in, turn on.

- Let me know what you observe or find out. There may be more to do for the problem.

Note also: IF no toner is loose inside the printer whatsoever, then you may be using a type or grade of paper not approved for this printer model. Let me know the glossy paper stock in use, and I will tell you whether it meets approved quality specifications for this model.

If this helps with the problem and answers your question, then please please use the five-star interface at the top of the question page, to rate my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.)
- Favorable feedback is appreciated.
(If this answer is still in any way inadequate, just ask for further details and I will try to get the right and complete answer to you.)