Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

The ink is smearing so print quality is sowewhat illegible.

Customer Question
The ink is smearing...

The ink is smearing so print quality is sowewhat illegible. I don't know how to clean the nozzles as I could do with my other printers. How can I fix this?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

Workforce 3620 all in one

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your printer?

About the last four or five print jobs- over a period of 2 or 3 weeks

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

My computer updates automatically so I'm not certain when. I don't think it's been in the last few weeks.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Printers
12/3/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup menu on the machine, then to maintenance, then running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print any better, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Do I fix this from the printer? On other printers I could get the cleanup info from my computer

This is on the printer itself as I mentioned above.

Go into Setup on the front panel menu controls, then to maintenance, then to clean

I did NOT accept the offer to get $39 worth of support. I just got a notice from paypal saying I paid you $33. This is not correct and I fully expect you to issue a credit because billing me for something I did not accept is a fraudulent business practice!
You were not billed for a remote support because I didn’t not accept it. You were only charged the agreed upon chat fees that were explained when posting your question.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.