Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have replaced the ink cartridges with new cartridges and…

Customer Question
I have replaced the...

I have replaced the ink cartridges with new cartridges and the printer will not print because it says I need too replace the blue and yellow cartridge. I am extremely frustrated with this printer -- this happens too frequently!

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your printer?

XP-830

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

Yes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
12/2/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Did you replace all the cartridges? Or just the black?

Are you using new/genuine epson inks, or generic/refilled cartridges?

I replaced all and I'm using new/genuine epson inks!
I really don't care about all the colors. I just want to print in black and white. Is that possible?

No, you can't use just black.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

That did not work. Any other suggestions?

Unfortunately if that did not work, then this is a hardware failure, meaning a bad printhead.

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2014 model printer, it is well into if not past its designed maximum 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

I just got this printer a year ago. I don't remember if I have a warranty, but I will check.
Thanks for your help.

If it is less than a year old it would be covered, if not you can buy a new one for half what you'd spend on repairs.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/2wPdNRJ or http://amzn.to/2hQLirU

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/2fdn5PG

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,