Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Canon PIXMA MX700. Error Code 5B00. I think I did that

Customer Question
Canon PIXMA MX700. Error...

Canon PIXMA MX700. Error Code 5B00

Technician's Assistant: Is your printer displaying the error on all print jobs, even after you restart it?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I think I did that yesterday

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I have cleaned the absorber pads and put the clean ones back in the tray. The error code has appeared since I did that.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Printers
12/3/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 9 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That code means that the ink abosorber pads inside the printer are estimated by the printer as being full of waste ink, and in need of changing.

That is a serious enough problem. It can be solved by having the printer sent off to, or taken to, a Canon repair facility and having the ink absorber pads replaced at some expense, or... with a considerable amount of time and work and a bit of money, you can perhaps replace them yourself, but it is rather a challenging job to do.

Or, you can replace the printer. Or, you can take a risk that the ink absorbers aren't really full yet, reset the error, and continue with the absorbers in their current condition. (But if you overdo it and they leak ink, or waste ink starts backing up, either things could get very permanently and badly stained underneath the printer, or your ink system in the printer might be ruined - which would be good cause for replacing the printer altogether.)

I have replaced the pads and the error code persists. How do I reset the the printer? I’ll take the risk that you have described.

Just a minute or two please... thanks...

Try this: With the power OFF on the printer,

1: press and hold the RESET (or RESUME, perhaps) button (to the right side of the printer's controls/buttons, if I have this right for your model), and at the same time, also press and hold the POWER button too.

2: after a second, release the RESET (or RESUME) button but keep holding down the POWER button...

3: while still holding the POWER button, press and release the RESET (or RESUME) button, two times.

4: Then, after a moment, release the POWER button too, and wait for about 10 seconds or longer for the printer to turn ON and initialize.

5: the printer should now show 'SERVICE MODE' on the LED screen.

6: Press the RESET (or RESUME) button four times, then press the Power button once, to confirm 'Reset Counter Absorber' as an action.

7: After which, if that's what you just got done, you press POWER again to turn OFF the printer.

8: Wait a while, then turn it On again normally, and it should now have the error cleared.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.