Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I can hear the printer at work when I try to print

Customer Question
I can hear the...

I can hear the printer at work when I try to print something, the ink cartridge was recently changed, but nothing is on the page when it is complete.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your printer?

MX410

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

No, and yes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Guess not

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Printers
12/1/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 6 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
First, check the ink levels in the printer. This can be done by looking at the ink level indicator on the screen.

Then if the ink isn't low, you should try the following procedure, it often helps:

In outline:
1. Clean the printhead. (Not manually; use the Maintenance function that is called 'Head Cleaning'... it takes several minutes to complete a Head Cleaning cycle.)
2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)
This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.
3. Clean the printhead a second time.
4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.
5. Clean the printhead a third time.
Then test whether black ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)