Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Epson 1280. Turn on printer. Print head moves slowly all the…

Customer Question
Epson 1280. Turn on...

Epson 1280. Turn on printer. Print head moves slowly all the way to the left, then quickly moves all the way to the right, slowing down at the end. The printer makes a normal start up noise (rollers move). The printer head moves 1" to the left briefly stops and makes a different noise (then flashing green goes out and Maintenance red light goes on solid), then moves leftward another 1", rollers move, then goes all the way to the right again. It then goes leftward again 2", rollers move, then returns all the way to the right. It then spits out a blank sheet of paper. Any ideas as to what is up?

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried running your printer's self-cleaning cycle? (Sometimes you have to run this several times to see results.)

I just got the printer from a friend. Is that function actuated on the printer itself or from the PC Printer utility?

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried wiping down the metal contacts on your printer and cartridges?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No buttons will function after the red Maint lights red

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Printers
12/1/2017
Technician: Joel Kalman, Engineer replied 6 months ago
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer

Hello. I am pleased to assist you today. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

Please open the door to the carriage bay and wait for the carriage to stop. Then, without turning the power off, disconnect the power cable. Now you should be able to move the carriage manually by applying a gentle force, just enough to overcome friction. Use a bright flashlight and look for any foreign matter obstructing the carriage track or space. Move the carriage all the way to the left and all the way to the right. Then connect the power cable and turn on the printer. Does the carriage center itself automatically when you open the door to the carriage bay with the power on?

I found no obstructions or foreign matter on the carriage track or space. All rollers turn during initiation. Once initiation concludes (Maintenance light on solid red), only the power button is functional. Lifting the carriage bay door effectuates nothing.
Next troubleshooting step?
You originally stated that the carriage moves, slowly and haltingly, from side to side. But now you say that it does not move when you open the door. What makes the carriage move?
The carriage moves during initialization. There is that one point where is stops, makes a noise (lighting the maintenance light red) then proceeds to complete initialization. Once complete, the carriage won't move anymore; regardless if you push the button or open the cover.
update: I read something online that described the printer's problem exactly. It said that the little white slider behind the bar, on the far right side, may have come out of alignment. I took off the cover, lifted another little white piece on the slider's far left side so it now limits how far left it slides, and now the initialization completes without error. However, when I try to due a nozzle check, the carriage moves rapidly to the center and acts as if there is not enough space below it and hits something beneath it; stopping it and initiating a red maintenance light. When I manually move the carriage left and right, it does seem to touch things beneath it. Is there a way to adjust the carriage height (besides the 0-+ lever) to raise it a bit so it clears all things beneath it? The printer is still inoperable, as is.

What do you mean by (besides the 0-+ lever)?

There is a lever on the far right side of the printer, which you can switch to either 0 or +. It brings the print Head a tad closer or farther to the print.

cn you You should only m6ove the carriage manually when the power cable has been disconnected so that you are not fighting the force of the transport mechanism. With the power disconnected, you only have to apply a gentle force to overcome friction. With the power disconnected do you still sense that the carriage is touching something in the space underneath it? Can you use a bright flashlight to make out what that is thar is interfering with the carriage side-to-side motion?

I have been quite gentle in moving the carriage. It seems to be that the carriage bot***** *****ghtly touches the first line of protrusions; front side

Can the protrusions be moved at all?

No. It is difficult to say where it is the rollers or the other protrusions that it is touching. Is there no way to increase the distance between the carriage and the rollers/protrusions? Can I send you a short video that shows what is going on?

Yes, you can attach a file to your message. There is not much space inside your low-profile printer. Has your printer been dropped?

This is what happens when I send a Nozzle Check or Print
Did you receive the video I sent you last week?

I received it, but I cannot open it.

I opened and viewed the video. It does not show very much. I already know that your printer has a low profile and that there is not much room inside.