Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

OMG, the paper jam error will NOT go away. I have tried

Customer Question
OMG, the paper jam...

OMG, the paper jam error will NOT go away. I have tried everything. I'm reading about cleaning rollers - I cleaned everything I can. This is the 3rd one in our office to have the same error - I'm determined to get these things working!

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

Mfc-j572odw

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your printer?

It kept happening more and more - and finally 2 days ago it just won't clear and therefore it won't print anything

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Printers
I can't remember ever having a piece of paper stuck - it always gives me a paper jam error when I load a new tray of paper - the first print always gives a jam code and usually by unplugging the machine it resets itself, but that no longer works.
12/1/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 7 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Have you cleaned the paper pickup rollers, the ones that swiff the first paper sheet off the paper stack in the paper tray? those are most likely to need such cleaning.

If the problem might possibly be owing to aging roller surfaces (for paper is fed into faxes and printers with rubber or plastic cylindrical rollers, that propel the sheet into or through the machine)... then you might need to clean the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not happening.

Remove all paper from the machine, unplug it, and open it so as to have access to the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not being done properly.
Take a clean high-quality lint-free rag cloth, moisten it with rubbing alcohol, and rub the rollers firmly all over their paper-contacting surfaces, three times over.

(If the rollers are hard to reach, there is another way to clean them... let me know if that is the case, and I will detail how to do the cleaning.)

Allow 5+ minutes for drying-off, then reload the paper, close up the machine where you opened it up, and then try again.

- and also, does the paper stop in the printer, or does it just not feed into the printer, when you get this Paper Jam error? if it never feeds in, then the problem is more or less in the area of those paper pickup rollers... but be certain the tray is not broken, is inserted fully and correctly, etc.

- Let me know how it goes, please. I will have further suggestions for this problem, as needed and depending upon what data you let me know about, by Reply To Expert.

Since I have not heard back from you, I am asking whether my answer was helpful and provided what you needed to help toward a solution ?

If I have indeed answered your question, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface on your JustAnswer page. - A five-star rating would be appreciated. Thank you.

(If this didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will help you further to a solution.)