Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Have a MF720C copier, having problems with what I would call…

Customer Question
Have a MF720C copier...

Have a MF720C copier, having problems with what I would call ghosting. When paper is fed from the multi-purpose tray the finished copy has a light ghost shadow. The shadow does not appear until about 1/3 of the way down the copy but it is a complete shadow of the entire document. This does not happen with paper fed from regular paper tray. Toner cartridge has been changed, and I also tried to do some general cleaning. This machine is not that old, hope it's not the fuser or drum. Would appreciate any advice on this problem.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your printer?

Canon MF720C

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

No error messages. Yes I can open the area that holds the cartridges.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I just find it odd that from the regular paper feed, the problem does not exist. I don't know how to get into the machine to looks at a possible roller problem.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Printers
If you look close you can see from the "1. Letter of application" the shadowing begins. On the original copy you can see the shadowing very distinctly. I'm going to be leaving the office in the next 15 minutes and will be gone until Monday. at 9:00 central standard time. Sorry if you can't get this taken care of in the next few minutes.
11/30/2017
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Ghosting is a tough problem. But that it does not happen from one paper source, means it is particular to that paper source, pretty much.

Is the paper fed from the Multi-Purpose Tray, different paper stock (e.g. a different size, or from a different package or a different store, or stored previously in a different place) ? if so, then the paper stock may be damp or humid, perhaps, which could doubtfully cause this problem.

To make sure it is not the paper stock causing the problem, just put a sheet from the normal tray into the multi-purpose tray, print one page onto that, see if that also ghosts.

Then ... if paper from the normal tray does not ghost, you have a problem with the paper stock itself, which probably need to be dried in a warm place for a day or two.

If it does ghost still, that's tougher to solve. Is the paper bending when fed from that tray?

Re-seat the drum (the fuser is not relevant to this problem, it's almost certainly OK. The drum might be where the problem is, even if it is a subtle small part in that assembly, rather than the photosensitive drum surface itself. Don't touch the drum, of course... and don't try to clean it either.)

Let me know how it goes, and what is indicated by what you test, and by reseating the drum in its place.

Back in the office today: This has been little help, it would be nice to have instructions on how to reset the drum. It definitely is not a paper problem, I've used various different paper weights, paper from the regular tray and the ghosting problem is still there. Trying to figure out how to reseat the drum, I remove all the various toner cartridges and gently wiped down their holding tray. If you are going to continue to charge my account forget it. I was already surprised with the additional $14.00 charge. I paid for this our of my personal pocket so if their is any additional charges just drop this correspondence.

I did not mean that the drum needed resetting, but that it needed re-seating. That is to say, briefly removed, then put back in its place firmly.

There should be no additional charges. But, I have no power over charges, billing, no access to your credit information. For all such concerns I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com. They may be reached at

***@******.***

or through Chat or Phone by way of these pages:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

http://ww2.justanswer.com/phone

Shall I continue to advise you ?

Had already done this, and no change in the situation. Ghosting is still present. Not sure what to do at this point.

A persistent image on the drum is the basic statement of the problem.

Try this, said to work in some cases of this sort of problem:

First, turn OFF the printer and unplug it from the power.

If you open up the front where the paper prints, there is a clear strip that goes from left to right and is said to be "right above the greasy metal strip".

If the strip (called the 'encoder strip' is dirty, clean it with a bit of water and q-tips, gently.

Let me know whether that helps any. There are other things to try.

Russell H., Printer and Office Tech