Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I installed a new black ink cartridge and it said that it…

Customer Question
I installed a new...

I installed a new black ink cartridge and it said that it didn't recognize the cartridge. I tried several times and kept getting the same response. I installed my used cartridge and it worked just fine. I tried again and also installed a new Photo Black cartridge and now it is saying that it doesn't recognize ANY of the cartridges. ?????

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your printer?

XP-820

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

I am able to open the glass lid to install the new cartridges and then I get an error message that says that it cannot recognize any of the cartridges.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Printers
11/30/2017
Technician: Joel Kalman, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer

Hello. I am pleased to assist you today. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

Thank you. What would you like me to try?

Are you using official Epson 273 ink cartridges?

Okay. It is not recognizing the ink cartridge because the electrical contacts on the ink cartridge or printhead are oxidized or contaminated with an oily substance which is preventing them from conducting electricity.

I don't know how Remote Assistance could help with a printer????

Please clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs and see if that takes care of the problem.

Are you talking about the contacts that the cartridges connect with?

You can just ignore those offers for Premium Services. These promotional messages are automatically issued by the system . Premium Services are optional. They can be quicker and more convenient, but they are usually not necessary, and sometimes not relevant, to solve your problem.

Yes, the electrical contacts are gold. The ones on the printhead are the ones that the ink cartridges make contact with.

ok, I've cleaned those. It says that it is preparing the ink system.
That seemed to have done the trick. Is this problem very common?
Are you still there?

Sorry, I took a break after a long, hard day. Your problem is pretty common. Gold contacts get an oxide film on them which is non-conductive. It just happens naturally when they are exposed to the air. It happens all the time with cable connectors. In those cases, where the metal contacts rub and slide against each other, it is usually not necessary to clean the contacts with alcohol. it works just to unplug them and replug them, because the mechanical strips the metal oxide off and cleans them.