Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

SMUDGE MARKS ON ONE SIDE OF MY PAPER. HP LASER JET PRO

Customer Question

IM GETTING SMUDGE MARKS ON ONE SIDE OF MY PAPER
JA: What's the brand and model of your printer?
Customer: HP LASER JET PRO CM1415FNW
JA: How long has this been going on with your printer?
Customer: A FEW WEEKS
JA: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?
Customer: I HAVEN'T
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: PLUS IM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH LABELS ALIGNING PROPERLY
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Smudge marks on one side usually means either:

A. a toner cartridge (of the color of the smudges) is leaking, and/or

B. toner is loose in the printer (as a result) and is getting onto the paper.

A general cleaning is good for (B) - replacing the toner cartridge of that color is appropriate for (A).

Here's the procedure for cleaning:

It is usual, with all laser printer problems, to Open, Inspect, Clean (carefully), Close Up, and Try Again.

Open: Unplug the machine for safety. Get access to the internal workings, esp. those of the problem area. Remove cartridge(s) if necessary.

Inspect: look for anything wrong or odd in the problem area. Spilled toner? bent or broken parts? stuck sensor switch? tabs or tape not removed from toner cartridge(s)?

Clean (carefully): Take a dry white or light colored high-quality lint-free rag cloth, and wipe firmly all possible plastic or especially metal surfaces that could have toner/paper dust/fluff/anything on them. Carefully, to avoid touching, spraying, moistening, abrading, or exposing to direct light for longer than 1 minute out of 15 or more, the shiny, usually blue-green (but sometimes red-purple) photosensitive 'drum' or roller, which is easily damaged.

Close up: put everything back in, close covers, etc.

Try again: plug in, turn on.

- Let me know what you observe or find out. There may be more to do for the problem.

If this helps with the problem and answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.)
- Favorable feedback is appreciated.
(If this answer is still in any way inadequate, just ask for further details and I will try to get the right and complete answer to you.)