Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a Photosmart 6520. I changed the ink yesterday. The…

Customer Question
I have a Photosmart...

I have a Photosmart 6520. I changed the ink yesterday. The colors are fine, but neither black cartridges will print..

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

HP Photosmart 6520

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your HP printer?

The red didn't print for about a week. Then suddenly was fine. When I put my new ink in yesterday neither black will print at all.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

I havent't

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/26/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

It is normal to see the black nozzles fail first as they get the most use.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.