Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I config the brother printer HL-2280DW as static IP printer…

Customer Question
I config the brother...

I config the brother printer HL-2280DW as static IP printer on home network. However, it looks OK on configuration. However, when printing is still Error after a while.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

It is Window 7 of PC.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your HL-2280DW?

Just from yesterday. It was configured as Wireless and I still configure as wireless and it said connected on the network. However, I try to configure printer and network couldn't find it. It is the reason I changed it to static IP instead of wireless.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

About 10 days ago and printer has been a while. Just before yesterday I can still printing.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

The port set up on static TCP/IP port.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/26/2017
Technician: Jason Jones, Technician replied 7 months ago
Jason Jones, Technician

I look forward to helping you today.

May I ask what is meant when you say that you changed it "static IP instead of wireless"? If you set a static IP address to the printer, it will still need to be connected to the network wireless or with a network cable.

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.
Thank you,
Jason

I used cable to connect printer to the router.Of course, the printer is still configured as wireless and wired.

Thank you for the update and clearing up those details for me. May I connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? When the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate back and forth via a chat window that will appear on your computer screen.

Not necessary.Can I just dropped it you couldn't fix problem by on line not connecting?I would like just dropped it and without wasting both your and my time.

We can continue working on it without the remote option. I just wanted to offer that solution as an option to you.

Which IP address did you assign the printer?

I used "192.168.1.3" which I used "ipconfig" to find it out on command prompt.

If you used the IP that you found when you did IPCONFIG, that is your problem. You cannot use the same IP address on more than one device on the network.

Change the IP address on the Printer to: 192.168.1.55

Change the Subnet Mask on the printer to: 255.255.255.0

After that is done, add the printer using that IP address and report back with the status of your problem.

Thank you,

Jason

Actually, I tried to use "192.168.1.7" as new IP address.However, the network won't recognize that IP address.I believed "192.168.1.55" will be the same as I mentioned above.

Please, do as I suggested and change the IP to 192.168.1.55

Once that is complete, do the following:

- Hold down the two following keys at the same time: Windows key and the letter R
- In the box that comes up, type: cmd
- Click the Ok button.
- In the black window, type the following and press Enter: ping 192.168.1.55
Question: What does it say, replies or request timed outs?

The error is "the destination host is not reachable".The status of "Wired TCP/IP" on printer is also shown "offline"

Okay, please, change that so that the Wired TCP/IP option is set to enabled.

Probably the printer didn't have static port at all.Because The wired TCP/IP was enabled.However, the status was offline and light on the router is not lighted and printer is on.

I don't understand what you said. Are you saying that the WIRED TCP/IP is now enabled?

The light on the router is not lit? Does that mean that the port that the printer is plugged into on the router is not turning on the router? That means that the cable may be bad.

Looks like the wireless is the way we go.However, the status is shown connected on wireless.However, the network just couldn't find it out.

Did you assign the 192.168.1.55 address to the wireless adapter on the printer?

I assigned that address and the cable I tried several different ones and the port on the back of the router was not lit.

Okay. Please, connect wireless and see if that route works better than the hard wire option.

OK.
I changed the ip address as 192.168.1.55 on WLAN.However, I ping it and it andthe reply from 192.168.1.3 said the address not reachable
I believed 192.168.1.3 may be the router and 192.168.1.1 is gateway and 255.255.255.0 is submask.
I thought wireless ip address should be Auto assigned by router instead giving exact IP address.
Are you still there?

The wireless or hard wired IP would be auto assigned if you had it setup that way.

I respect that you don't want me to quickly connect and fix the problem remotely.

I will go ahead and opt out of the question and allow another person to help.