Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I don't think we followed the rules correctly a few weeks…

Customer Question
I don't think we...

I don't think we followed the rules correctly a few weeks ago we we tried to replace the black and all colour cartridges. The instructional leaflet does not tell s how to fix this problem - copies are illegible and cannot be read. I THINK we may have made the heads and contact dirty.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your printer?

Can we fix this or do we need to buy a new set Alan

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?

Xp220

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so at the moment,

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Printers
11/25/2017
Technician: R Hefner, Computer Engineer and Instructor replied 5 months ago
R Hefner
R Hefner, Computer Engineer and Instructor

Hello Alan my name is ***** ***** I would like to help you with the issue of the printer.
I would like to know what does the printer produce. Does it have too much ink. is it blurred.

Can you get the cartridges out?

Hello Richard,
It prints but VERT|Y indistinctly. Each line is printed laterally but none of the printing is legible if that makes sense. It seems that the ink is not getting through. I think we may have dirtied the thing when we loaded the new cartridges.
If you connect remotely and are not able to fix it will I be charged?Alan B
Technician: R Hefner, Computer Engineer and Instructor replied 4 months ago

Alan,

It sounds like the print head is dirty on the xp220. So here are the steps to correct the issue.

Take out the cartridges , clean the bottom of the cartridges with rubbing alcohol. Now there is a software repair and a manual cleaning of the print heads.

The print head is the tray under the cartridge container. So visually make sure there is no ink in the head carrier. clean any ink with cotton swab and alcohol.

For the software clean of the heads:

Using the control panel buttons

Follow the steps below to clean the print head using the control panel buttons.

Make sure that the power light is on and the ink out light is off. Then, hold down the ink button for three seconds.

Note:

If the ink out light is flashing or on, do not clean the print head. Cleaning the print head will start the ink cartridge replacement process. If you do not intend to replace an ink cartridge, press the ink button again to return the print head to its home position.

The printer starts cleaning the print head and the power light and the ink lights begin flashing.

Caution:

Never turn off the printer while the power light is flashing. Doing so may damage the printer.

When the power light stops flashing, print a nozzle check pattern to confirm that the head is clean and to reset the cleaning cycle.

If print quality has not improved after repeating this procedure four or five times, turn the printer off and leave it alone overnight. Then do the nozzle check again, and repeat the head cleaning if necessary.

If the print quality still has not improved, some of your ink cartridges may be old or damaged and may need to be replaced.To replace an ink cartridge before it is empty, see Replacing an Ink Cartridge.

If print quality remains a problem after replacing the ink cartridges, contact your dealer.

Note:

To maintain print quality, we recommend printing a few pages at least once every month

OR use the head cleaning software on the machine. I will assume you are on a windows machine.

For Windows users

Follow the steps below to clean the print head using the Head Cleaning utility.

Make sure that the printer is turned on and the ink out light is off.

Note:

If the ink out light is flashing, you cannot clean the print head. You need to replace the appropriate ink cartridge first.

Access the printer software. For instructions, see Accessing the printer software.

Click the Utility tab and click the Head Cleaning button.

Follow the on-screen instructions.

The power light and the ink lights flash while the printer performs the cleaning cycle.

Caution:

When the power light stops flashing, click Print Nozzle Check Pattern in the Head Cleaning dialog box to confirm that the head is clean and to reset the cleaning cycle.

If the nozzle check page does not print satisfactorily, you may need to repeat the head cleaning and print the nozzle check pattern again.

If print quality hasn't improved after repeating this procedure four or five times, turn the printer off and leave it alone overnight. Then do the nozzle check again, and repeat the head cleaning if necessary.

If the print quality still has not improved, some of the ink cartridges may be old or damaged and may need to be replaced. To replace an ink cartridge before it is empty, see Replacing an Ink Cartridge.

Note:

To maintain print quality, we recommend printing a few pages at least once every month.

R Hefner
R Hefner