Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

It is probably quite a simple matter, but I just can't work…

Customer Question
Hi - it is...

Hi - it is probably quite a simple matter, but I just can't work it out.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

My printer is is Model TS8060.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your TS8060?

It is just a setting matter.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Please let me tell you the whole story before cutting of. I have a need to scan pictures IN THEIR FRAMES to my computer. This usually means, the picture in the frame is around 2mm away (in height) from the platen of the printer. When the job is done and the image appears on my computer,
screen, it turns out to be very blurry. This appears to be a matter of a changed setting that I need to make on the printer, but have not been able to work out. Before the TS8060 printer, I did have as PIXMA MP990, and this would perfectly scan images that touched the screen, but also images that were around 2mm away from the screen, as I described above, all with the same setting. Assuming that the TS8060 can do a similar job as my previous printer, can you tell me what I need to do that will solve my problem?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Printers
11/23/2017
Technician: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 9 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

Ever since I purchased the printer new. Please note: it will scan pictures directly in contact with the platen perfectly well, but not it an image is a couple of mm higher, or if you like, not touching the platen. This was never a problem with my PIXMA MP990.

Ok - can you unplug the printer from the power supply while the printer is off and hold in the power button on it for 30 seconds.
Let me know done
Regards
Kris

Just did that - but nothing changed. In order to maybe explain the issue better, I have made up a file showing the problem, and this is attached. The MP 990 was always able to come up with a clear image, even thought the coin was in a plastic case, and app 2mm away from the platen. The TS 8060 simply produces blurry coins, though what touches the platen is sharp. Surely that is a setting issue?
Hi Kris, (sorry - last time we talked, it was 3am here in Melbourne Australia. I went to bed.)
Done so as you instructed. Nothing changed.
To explain the problem better, I have produced a word page with images of the problem. As you can see from this, it is a focus problem. For whatever reason, my previous printer, a Canon PIXMA MP990, always scanned sharply, and within a depth of field range for both the coin holder and the coin. The TS 8060 just will not do that.
Surely there has to be a way to adjust for this?

Let me opt out for someone in AUS to help you easier

You will be emailed when they pick thos up.

Technician: Harry, Engineer replied 9 months ago
Harry, Engineer

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays coming upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

I still have issues as mentioned previously. I feel it is a setting issue. The Canon MP 990 made perfect images of the coins I need to scan, and I would think the my new printer, which is reasonable up-market, surely could produce a similar result. I trust you had access to the sample scans I sent the other day?
Klaus

Have you adjusted the DPI and resolution for the scans?

Hi Harry
Well, to be frank, I am a bit frustrated with all of this. I do not think that Kris and you are reading and comprehend my notes properly.
Kris told me to switch the printer off and on. (What?)
You are talking about DPS settings.
Kris - this is a focus problem, as I now explained on two occasions previously. I need to get sharp scans with the object to be scanned about 2mm away (in height) from the platen of the printer. My old and now defunct Canon MP 900 did that perfectly well. The new Canon TS8060 does not. (Thought it will scan a document in touch with the platen of the printer perfectly well.)
It may well be that the TS8060 has no focus adjustment, and nothing can be done. I did not have to do ANY ADJUSTMENT with the old MP990, so it may just have had a better lens, or it was factory adjusted for better depth of field. I don't know. I did add a file with my last response to Kris to show the problem. The blurry image is definitely not a DPS problem, but a focus issue.
There does not seem to be a reference about focussing in the Instruction Book. Maybe I need to go to Canon direct, and find out what they have to say about all this?

Sure, you can reach out to Canon directly.