Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

HP 460 printer will print text in color but not in black. OS…

Customer Question
HP 460 printer will print...
HP 460 printer will print text in color but not in black. OS windows 10
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Printers
11/22/2017
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 7 months ago
Suhasini Velu

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Before we proceed with any troubleshooting,please once unplug your printer from the wall outlet wait for 2 minutes and plug it back in.
Let me know when this is done.

It is done
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 7 months ago

Did you replace the ink cartridges recently?

No I want an answer to the question
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 7 months ago

Did you replace the ink cartridges recently? If yes you will have to clean you print heads

And kindly ignore the remote access message that is automatically generated by the website and I have no control over it.

No ink. If I change the print settings gray it prints a solid black. I have downloaded to scan programs on from HP one from a third party both saw all drivers up to date. Spool etc all fine. One scan program will print a test page with no black. If I go to printer properties and try to print a test page I get a blank page. Uninstalled and reinstalled printer three times.
Sorry new ink
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 7 months ago

In this case check on the printer if you see any Power light blinks and the Resume light blinks on the printer. If you see any such light on the printer, Please try this following steps on the printer,

1. Remove the print cartridges.
  2. Remove the jammed paper, if any.
  3. Reinsert the print cartridges.
  4. Turn on the product.

Check if you still the problem reoccur, If any of the part is unclear please let me know.

I already said that has been done three times
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 7 months ago

In that case let me open this for other experts.

Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 7 months ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think the black printhead might be clogged - though you should check the Ink Level monitor first, to make sure the black ink is not simply out (or very low, which sometimes means 'no ink except a dried-up unusable residue') - and in need of un-clogging.

You should try a certain cleaning procedure that I have found effective, first.

In outline:
1. Clean the (black) printhead. (Not by hand, which often ruins the printhead, but with an operation that can be ordered either from the Maintenance menu of the Setup or Settings menu on your printer, or from the Maintenance tab in the software for your printer that is on your computer.)
2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)
This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.
3. Clean the printhead a second time.
4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.
5. Clean the printhead a third time.
Then test whether black ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply To Expert " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.