Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Have a 3520 HP deskjet printer that I have replaced ink

Customer Question
Have a 3520 HP...

Have a 3520 HP deskjet printer that I have replaced ink cartridges yesterday and have tried printing documents , colors will print but black ink will not. Have un plugged from power strip and plugged to wall. Have reset default settings, have taken pin to vent on black ink cartridge still not printing black color --need to know how to fix this please

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Deskjet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

3520 all in one HP desk jet printer. 4 years old

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Mac--will print without issue document with color--black ink won't work -- do not know the OS but documents are being sent to printer and printing just no black ink so blank page if color not on page.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

One week, nothing happened--I printed document last week no problem --then needed to replace ink, not first time it has been replaced, now no black ink will print

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2017
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 6 months ago
Suhasini Velu

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 6 months ago

Before we proceed with any troubleshooting,please once unplug your device from the wall outlet wait for 2 minutes and plug it back in.
Let me know when this is done.

Already done
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 6 months ago

Is it the case that only the black ink doesn't print?

It appears you are not able to troubleshoot this problem
I am not intetrsted in remote connection or paying more $
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 6 months ago

Alright, We will try cleaning the print heads.

I understand in this printer we can't remove the cradle that hold the print head.

So we will try cleaning it with little alcohol or some warm water using a cotton swab.

For you convenience I have attached a video link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLq8eAJgybc

Let me know what happens.

Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 6 months ago

And kindly ignore the remote access message that is automatically generated by the website and I have no control over it.

Cleaned black did not print after process completed as discribed in video
Also went to tools and cleaned printer heads after as instructed
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 6 months ago

In that case am afraid this printer has to be serviced manually in a service center.

However Let me opt out of this question and leave this to other experts for second opinions.

Thank you.

Technician: Syseng, Engineer replied 6 months ago
Syseng
Syseng, Engineer

My name is David.

Before getting the printer serviced, check the black ink cartridge and make sure the thin plastic film that covers the ink dispensing area of the cartridge (and is part of the packaging) has been removed - it is common to overlook this since the plastic film is quite thin and almost invisible in some cases. If you find that the plastic film is still on the cartridge, remove the film and reinstall the cartridge and then try again to print.

Please let me know the result.

Thanks,

David.

Still no printing from black ink

Was there a plastic film on the dispensing area of the black ink cartridge?

No
vented top part opened with pin as recommended

Ok, then in that case there are print head cleaning kits that may solve the problem. They include the liquid solution and applicator to clean the print head manually and much more thoroughly than the print head cleaning performed by the printer itself. Below is a link to one of the print head cleaning kits:

click here

Already used cleaning kit on printer heads any other ideas?

Ok, so those are all the additional ideas I have other than that perhaps the new cartridge is defective - it has happened to me. So if you have another cartridge - even an old one with some ink left that you can use for testing - I would recommend that before taking it in for service.

Already did that — It appears this printer is broken
Thanks for the ideas

Ok then I will open this question up to other experts that may have additional ideas.

Technician: Harry, Engineer replied 6 months ago
Harry, Engineer

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays coming upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Harry, Engineer