Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Ink full but printing bad. Canon MG5220, not sure how old…

Customer Question
Ink full but printing...

Ink full but printing bad

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?

Canon MG5220, not sure how old maybe 5

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Lenovo laptop - Windows 7

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It just started about a week ago

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

It was working fine then not

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Printers
11/22/2017
Technician: Karthik, Engineer replied 9 months ago
Karthik
Karthik, Engineer

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

It sounds like you are unable to make print and quality of the printer was poor, In this case we need try Manual cleaning of inkjet printhead assembly. You can follow the instruction given below for cleaning the printer head.

• Most Canon inkjet printers have a removable printhead assembly. When I got my last Canon printer the printhead assembly had to be installed before you could install the cartridges. I have never run Xerox inkjet printers so I can only assume there is a way of removing their printhead for cleaning.
  • Remove cartridges then the printhead assembly according to the printer manual. To clean printhead assembly use a mixture of 50% distilled water and 50% window cleaner such as Windex with ammonia. This is the mixture we use to clean HP and LexMark cartridges which we remanufacture.
  • I like to use a plastic bowl so the printhead is not damaged. Submerge the printhead assembly in the cleaning solution described above for 1 - 3 minutes. You want it completely submerged. The goal here is to force any air out of the nozzles and to soften any ink which may be dried on the nozzles. You can use an ultrasonic cleaner if you have one available.
  • Remove the printhead and carefully blot any excess liquid off the printhead assembly with a paper towel. Be sure to dry any electrical contacts completely. Blot off any excess ink which may be on the bottom of the printhead. Do not 'wipe' the printhead as this could scratch it. Be gentle. You want the liquid in the nozzles to remain there so don't shack the cartridge to remove the liquid or blot the printhead where the ink comes out as this will wick out whatever liquid is in the nozzles and the air will again block ink flow.
  • Replace the printhead assembly and cartridges. Run a few dense pages of graphics to get the ink flowing. If the print looks light this is because of the cleaning solution in the printhead. It should only take a few pages for the colors to come back to their normal level.

If that doesn't work or if any other steps is unclear please let me know, So that we can try some other alternate solution. Thank you

Thank you, I'm looking for the manual so i can remove the print head
Technician: Karthik, Engineer replied 8 months ago

I have attached a manuals for the printer and I have provided you a video link and Nozzle check link with this conversation for cleaning print head. You can watch the video and you can clean the print head.

User Guide: http://files.canon-europe.com/files/soft39429/Manual/CanonMG5200EN.pdf

Nozzle check reference link: https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART109191

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAB-l_k-pLA

Note: video link will show with different model number you don't have to worry about that because all the print head will be the same for all the printers.