Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Trusty old Canon MP240 is showing 'P' and the Alarm button

Hi, Trusty old Canon MP240...
Hi, Trusty old Canon MP240 is showing 'P' and the Alarm button is flashing. I can't find the manual to try and trouble shoot the problem!
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: Late 2010 (it doest owe me much!) and where would I look for model number?
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Runnning Mac... and OS Sierra I think.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It was all fine until a friend went to photocopy something... now I can't photocopy or print from the computer
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No can't think of anything!
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2017
Josh, Technician

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

With the printer powered on, remove the power cord from the back.

Wait 2 minutes

Plug back in the power cord and power it on

Do you still have the error?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Argh. Sorry to keep you in limbo. I have never used Just Ask before and didn't realise how it works. Have now unplugged and just waiting the requisite two minutes! Ill be back to you shortly

Take your time!

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Yup its still there... the 'P' is flashing alternately with '7' (though why the friend needed seven copies heavens knows...)
The alarm is still flashing... Maybe the old girl is just hanging up her dinner pail?

Yes, unfortunately that is likely the case here.

Unfortunately, the error that you are experiencing is an internal failure which would require repair/replacement. The bad news is that your printer is outside of warranty and it would cost more to repair the printer than to buy a new one.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Mmmmmm ... as I rather thought... and it is only about five days since I was crowing to someone how well it has done me! It must have heard me! Off I trot to go and get replacement. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome -- I apologize that I had to deliver the bad news to you. Please understand that we do not like to deliver bad news because our rating on the site is based on the feedback of our customers so bad news situations are difficult to deal with. Thankfully, a large majority of our customers are understanding that we are just messengers in the situation and do not take it out on the rating system.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Josh, Technician
Josh, Technician