Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Canon mx920. the print head won't move to the center. it…

Customer Question
Canon mx920. the print...

Canon mx920. the print head won't move to the center. it appears to be stuck in position out of site. This is a new printer.

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

Canon mx920. I bought it about three months ago.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Mac osx el capitan. The printer was fine until this happened.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

This happened this week but I couldn't address it until today. Until I got the error 6000, it operated normally.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

There is no paper jam anywhere. I have followed online instructions regarding error 6000. I finally found this website with instructions for cleaning the print head. Which is when I realized the print carriage wasn't moving at all.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
11/19/2017
Technician: Joel Kalman, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer

Hello. I am pleased to assist you today. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

With one hand on the carriage and the other had on the printer body, move the carriage from side to side by applying a gentle amount of force. You should be able to apply just enough force to overcome motor friction. If the carriage will not move, there may be something obstructing it. You can use a small flashlight to look for any foreign matter on the carriage track that may be causing the carriage to be jammed or something in the space around the carriage preventing it from moving. Please let me know what happens.

I can move the carriage
i cannot move the carriage to the right of center
problem may be the Purge unit. How do I check that?

I apologize for leaving something out of my last message.

Please open the door to the carriage bay with the power on and see if you can observe any erratic motion of the carriage. Then disconnect the power cable and observe what position the carriage is in. With the power cable disconnected, you should be able to move the carriage from one side of the bay to the other.

the carriage doesn't move at all. It is at far left of the carriage bay.
when I turn the printer off and back on, the carriage moves back to the left side and stays there. Same happenes if i unplug then plug back in.

The carriage should center itself when you open the door to the carriage bay with the power on. If it doesn't, disconnect the power cable, and you should be able to move it manually by applying a gentle force, just enough to overcome motor friction.

I can do that but it doesn't solve the problem. The carraige does not center itself. I can manually center it. But, as soon as I turn the printer back on, the carriage moves left and stays there no matter what I do.
should it be dark in the carriage bay when the printer is on?
The printer is still under warranty. It seems like a waste of money to ship it some place for repair. Can I get my money back?

There are no lights that illuminate the carriage.

If the carriage will not center itself when the door to the carriage bay is opened with the power on, this indicated that the transport mechanism has been damaged. You can contact Customer Service at Canon, and they will issue a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) and send you a return shipping label so that you can ship your printer back to the manufacturer at no cost to you. They will either repair it or send you a new printer. You an tell them that you cannot wait for that process and ask them to send you a new printer immediately.

Thank you, Joel

You are welcome. If you have any additional questions or problems, please let me know, so that I can provide you with the additional support that you need. My goal is to provide you with the best possible customer service. If you are satisfied with my advice, please take a moment to rate my services after you have completed the procedure.