Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Getting error code 0xF1 Tried turning printer off and back…

Customer Question
Getting error code 0xF1...

Getting error code 0xF1 Tried turning printer off and back on with no luck...can't do anything!

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, have you double-checked the code? And what is the exact make and model of your machine?

Code 0xF1 WorkForce WF-3640

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Dell PC Inspiron 15 Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I was printing something and it advised me that ink was low but asked if I still wanted to proceed and I checked yes...then it just stopped and gave me the code.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I opened the case to change the ink cartridge and place the new ink in.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
11/19/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it). This was likely caused by trying to print while the ink was low, which resulted in the head overheating and being damaged.

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is well into if not past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,