Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I replaced the black ink cartridge and now it won't print.

Customer Question
I replaced the black...

I replaced the black ink cartridge and now it won't print. The test page prints perfectly though.

Technician's Assistant: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?

Canon Pick a MP280 with Canon 210XL black ink

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC microsoft

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It just happened when I replaced the ink cartridge and low ink popped up 1st

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

It's not printing or copying

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Printers
11/18/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 9 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

If you put a document on the glass and make a black only mode copy, how does that come out?

Thanks for checking

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it). Specifically your black nozzles are not firing at all, which is why the copy comes out blank. You may see something on the test page where it is mixing all the colors together and simulating black.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,