Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Mx-922 pixma will not print black. It used to but stopped…

Customer Question
Mx-922 pixma will not...

Mx-922 pixma will not print black. It used to but stopped after changing ink cartridges. It seems that many are having this problem. I've done all of the cleanings and alignments, etc. I'ved removed the print head and cleaned it. This seems to be a driver or firmware issue.

Technician's Assistant: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?

Canon Pixma MX-922. I'll have to look up the 3rd party cartridges.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC - WIN 10 64 bit

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It happened right after running out of ink and replacing with non-Canon cartridges. My initial suspicion, and could still be true, is that Canon looks for 3rd party and causes the issues.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
11/18/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

This is not a result of the 3rd party cartridges being detected and refused, if that were the case you'd get a message about an incompatible cartridge. The 3rd party cartridges can and do cause this issue however because the inks they use in those refills are not the same quality, the pigments are not as fine which leads to the nozzles clogging, then as you continue printing the nozzles overheat and become permanently damaged.

You again can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 10 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. This is especially true if using generic cartridges, which accelerate wear and tear on these printers about 3 times, if using generic inks the printers are not expected to last more than a year.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,