Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have a Canon Pro 100 printer.It does not turn on. The

Hello, I have a Canon...
Hello, I have a Canon Pro 100 printer.It does not turn on. The power cord and household power is good. I tested them with my other Canon printer.
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It did when I first got it 2 yrs ago.At that time, I called support and they said to ship it back for a replacement. Before I did that, I checked it again and it started to work. I don't use it a lot. The last time was early this summer.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac desktop
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Like I said, the last time I used the printer was early this summer. No problems then.
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
11/18/2017
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2012 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 5 year service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $250 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $350. For the same price you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan, Engineer
Nathan, Engineer