Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I recently had a printer replaced under warranty and used…

Customer Question
Hi, I recently had...

Hi, I recently had a printer replaced under warranty and used the cartridges that were in my old printer as they were fairly new. The black has now run out and I tried to replace it with a new cartridge that came with the printer but it won't accept this. What can I do?

Technician's Assistant: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?

Workforce WF 7620 and I am using the Epson cartridge that came with the printer

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

I am using a PC with Win10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Just happened. I had a low ink message so removed the old black cartridge and inserted the one that came with the printer. The printer said it was inserted correctly but then came up with an error message saying this cartridge cannot be used on a printer that has already been initialised.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Printers
11/18/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 5 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Hi, I have been away from the desk for a little while. Back now

Oh I'm sorry it looks like my last reply didn't come through, just a moment and I'll resend it,

The answer here is that you cannot use that cartridge at this point.

That cartridge which came with the printer is just a starter cartridge, it is meant to start up a new printer and has very little ink in it. Since use used a different cartridge first, the printer was initialized with it, and thus is now unable to use the one that came with the printer. There is nothing that can be done to change that and the cartridge should just be discarded and replaced with a new one at this point. If you had use the starter cartridge first, you would have then when it was empty been able to use the other one from the old printer. Since it happened out of order though it can't be used any longer.

My apologies for the news,

OK thanks. I wish the sales person had mentioned that when they took the old cartridges out of the old printer. Ah well - lesson learned. Thanks anyway.
You’re very welcome!
Nathan, Engineer