Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have an MG5420 printer. When I run anything, it acts like…

Customer Question
I have an MG5420...

I have an MG5420 printer. When I run anything, it acts like it is printing (head moves; paper moves, etc), but the output page is completely blank. I ran the print test, the cleaning, and the deep cleaning. All run without error except, again, the page is blank. The ink level shows that all tanks have ink in them.

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

As I said, it's a Canon MG5420 and it's about two years old.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

PC; Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Nothing. It worked in one room of the house. We moved it to another and now it doesn't print.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
11/17/2017
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 8 months ago
Suhasini Velu

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 8 months ago

Just to clarify, may I know how the printer and the computer is connected to the network?

printer is USB connected to the computer.
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 8 months ago

May I know whether you are trying to print offline documents which is saved on the computer or from the internet?

Directly from the computer. No Internet involved I’m beginning to regret using my-secure because you obviously know nothing about my printer. I said that the cleaning functions failed and they can only be done directly from the computer.
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 8 months ago

I will give the instructions, to determine the exact fault, we have to try some steps, as I cannot see your printer, it is taking some time, sorry for that. Please try to understand my limitations.

Try some simple steps and let me know the result, if that fails then, we will dig deeper.

Shut Down the printer and PC.

Restart the PC and printer.

Let me know, if you have already tried these steps.

I have done this
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 8 months ago

It seems the contacts on the print head are damaged and you have to replace the print head to resolve the issue, but before that you can follow the steps below to remove the print head and then cleaning the copper contacts on them with a cotton swab dampened in distilled water until they are clean, after drying them reinstall the print head and check the issue. If the problem persist, then replace the print head to resolve the issue.

Make sure that the power is turned on, and open the Paper Output Tray gentlyLift the scanning unit (printer cover) completely. (The print head will move to the replacement position.)Remove all the Ink TanksDo not touch the Print Head Lock LeverRaise the print head lock lever.Tilt the print head slightly towards the front of the machine and lift out gently.Place the print head in the print head holder and lower the print head lock lever carefully until you hear a click.Insert ink tanks into the print head.Press the mark <PUSH> on the ink tank firmly until you hear a click.Close the inner cover and the scanning unit (printer cover). Note: The next printing begins, the print head cleaning will begin automatically.
I cannot find the print head lock lever
There is no gray locking lever and my printer doesn't look like your picture. I think you have the wrong picture.
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 8 months ago

I didn't say it is your printer. I am referring to the print head lock lever on canon printers generally. You cannot find a lock lever?

no, and the printed instructions that came with the printer make no mention of one.
I'm tired of this. You obviously don't know enough about my printer to fix this. Please terminate this conversation and do not charge me for it because you have not helped at all.
Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 8 months ago

I am sorry, I may have to opt out from this question to make it available for the other experts to help you further.

Technician: Syseng, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Syseng
Syseng, Engineer

My name is David.

I may be able to help. Was the printer sitting idle for more than a few months?

Also, did you change the ink cartridges before the issue first occurred?

David: Thank you for your interest, but I am convinced that this problem cannot be solved remotely. Please close this incident as I have no plan to continue dealing with your company. Since there was no solution, I assume there will be no charge.

Ok, and I will notify customer service for you as well.

Best regards,

David.

Thanks