Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

The color of the picture I see on my monitor (Dell P2415Q)

Customer Question
The color of the...

The color of the picture I see on my monitor (Dell P2415Q) is not like the picture that comes out of the printer (MG7720). Is there a way to bring the color of the two places closer together short of purchasing a calibrator?

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Dell is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Maybe 2 years old. On the machine is: Pixma MG7720

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

Mac High Sierra

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

For 6 months or so. Recently I reset the printer and that helped.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Turns out I contacted you at a bad time. I have to leave. Any way to keep the chat open for about two hours until I return?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 day by:
11/18/2017
Technician: Sudipto, Engineer replied 5 months ago
Sudipto, Engineer

Hi, I'm Sudipto. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

I have figured out my problem and will not need your services. Thank you

You can not set the printer to match the monitor. You must set the monitor to match the printer.

First, you must not let the printer set anything. Turn off every bit off control it has. You can do this with the Canon My Printer under the Printer Settings tab. Do you know how? I will guess, yes, for now but if you don't get back to me.

Second, you need to have your photo editor (like Photoshop) handle all the print settings and color matching. You know how to do this? I prefer Photoshop and I use AdobeRGB color space.

And lastly, it is essential you get some settings on your monitor that somewhat matches what the printer is printing. Your printer may be doing exactly what you are telling it to do and you have no idea it is, because your monitor is so far off. If you don't do this step, you can forget the other steps. However, there are only a few things that you need to be concerned with. You don't need any fancy extra add-on to do this. No additional software or gadgets, etc. No monkeys, no spiders, nothing!

Most people set their monitors too bright.

You must get the gray-scale very close. You need to get the brightness very close and you need the contrast very close.

After you do these things you can make adjustments to your prints by just looking at your screen. Because you know the monitor and printer are on the same level. One more point, you can NOT get a printer to print every color exactly the way you see it. It isn't possible as all colors and adjustments effect all others. My goal is to get the skin tones right. That is what people notice most. Remember you are dealing with two different disciplines here. One is colored light and the other is colored dyes. They are not the same thing.

For instance, I know my Pro-100 tends to print slightly darker than what I see on the monitor (typical). So, I automatically know to set it's prints 1/2 to one stop brighter in Photoshop, in my case. It also prints with a slightly warn tone. Most of the time, with portraits especially, this if OK but sometimes it is not. In that case I adjust the "temp" setting slightly cooler in PS.

All the Canon photo printers I have ever seen have this warm/magenta cast. Canon engineers must prefer this look. It can not be changed. You need to "fix" it in post.

Make sure you have the correct ICC profiles and you are using Canon brand ink and paper until you get good with the printer. Very, very important, otherwise you don't know if the printer is doing exactly what you are telling it to or not.

Important is, use the USB connection until everything is right. You are just adding another issue when you try to set up the printing and the wireless all at the same time. Just like using Canon branded products until it is a go. Use a real printer USB cable. Not just any old USB cable. Get everything right before you explore.

Sudipto, Engineer