Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Having problems with my Canon Pixma TS8000 printer. Started…

Customer Question
Having problems with my Canon...
Having problems with my Canon Pixma TS8000 printer. Started printing in pink. Replaced ink cartridges that were indicating low. Print check then only printed black, grey and magenta. Cleaned, then deep cleaned and test sheet now printing black and grey only. All cartridges indicating near full. Troubleshooting says printer is ok. Can you help please?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Printers
11/17/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try again going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2015 model printer, it is well into its designed maximum 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Ok

This is not really something that can be fixed remotely, did you see the answer I sent above?

Please cancel.
Please cancel my request.

No problem, will disregard the remote request so as not to cost you more unnecessarily.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Thank you.

You're very welcome.